Quenching Our Thirst for Innovation and Fueling New Discoveries
The world around us is changing at breakneck pace. We use mobile phones and laptops to do jobs in seconds that used to take days and weeks, or were once not possible. This accelerated pace is the new normal for all businesses who are under immense pressure to deliver new applications to customers faster than ever.
Most have started their cloud journey, embraced agile methodologies and implemented DevOps practices. Yet the fact remains that 84% of companies fail at digital transformation.
Innovation of this magnitude requires incredibly nimble environments and lots of data. Businesses of all types have an unquenchable thirst for continuous access to trusted data to fuel these software-driven experiences. Take self-driving cars for example. They are a form of computer vision, much like a consumer photo service that magically knows which of your friends are in a photo. Massive amounts of data must be continuously fed into these algorithms, with developers and scientists tweaking them repeatedly to produce the best result.
Data growth is out of control and most companies struggle to keep up. IDC predicts that by 2025, global data will grow to be ten times that of today. Enterprise data is expected to grow even faster, increasing nearly 25 fold in ten years to represent the lion’s share of all data created worldwide. Not only is it growing in size - driven by the worldwide explosion in mobile and new innovations like machine learning, VR and the Internet of Things - but also in complexity due to the proliferation of open source and cloud platforms.
More Data, More Problems
Within all that data lies tremendous value and opportunity, but it is suppressed. Friction is the enemy that keeps companies from realizing the value of their data. This data friction shows its dark side in many forms, making data slow, costly, inaccessible, and risky. Data as a discipline has been ignored for decades, and the operations around that data is now the weakest link.
Under immense pressure to go fast, data operators (DBAs, InfoSec and IT operations teams) must manage and secure staggeringly large and complex data sets, and deliver them to data consumers in the organization (developers, QA, analysts and data scientists). Today, most of this data is trapped in silos and constrained by outdated manual processes and regulatory concerns. This data friction inhibits the operators from supplying the consumers with the data they need at the speed the business requires.
The explosion of data is unfathomable, and combined with the adoption of new platforms like public and hybrid clouds, and the fact that demand from data consumers will grow as fast as the data, data friction presents a daunting challenge.
Houston, we have a data friction problem!
There has to be a better way. The promise of continued advancement hangs on our ability to make data freely accessible to the people and teams who need it to drive important innovation.
A Platform for the Future
Delphix is a founding member of the growing ecosystem of companies focused squarely on helping companies solve their data friction challenges. Some of the most important brands in the world rely on Delphix for continuous data delivery, including three of the top five financial services companies and three of the five top global retailers. We’re proud to include Fidelity, JPMC, AllState, StubHub, Silicon Valley Bank and Fannie Mae on our list of customers.
Today, we usher in a new approach to data through the announcement of new products and revolutionary new technology that advances this mission:
- Commitment to a DataOps Approach: Given the increasingly critical role that data plays as the most valuable asset, companies can no longer use traditional approaches to get access to data. Delphix is at the forefront of the emerging DataOps movement - the alignment of people, process and technology for rapid, secure and automated access to data. Delphix is working with partners to accelerate the adoption of a DataOps approach for companies to gain access to data at scale. You can read more about DataOps from Delphix CTO Eric Schrock in his blog.
- Availability of the Delphix Dynamic Data Platform (DDDP): Responding to customer demand and changing market dynamics, the Delphix product portfolio is now available as a seamless platform offering. It will feature virtualization, security, management and self-service automation, all in one place. With Delphix, data is:
- Fast: Data is provisioned where it is needed in minutes instead of days, weeks or months to enable IT transformation.
- Secure: Sensitive data is secured in adherence with security policies ensuring regulatory compliance.
- Everywhere: Data is moved and managed seamlessly between source and target environments - whether on-premises, cloud, or hybrid - and quickly and securely provisioned where required.
- Revolutionary New Way to Distribute Data: Available today through the Delphix Dynamic Data Platform, Delphix introduces data pods: personal, virtualized data environments that give data consumers access to their own secure, virtual copies of the data, complete with dynamic data controls. Unique to the market, data pods are a true game changer that ensures secure, continuous access to the right data for each data consumer.
- Delphix on Microsoft Azure, AWS and major cloud platforms: Delphix Dynamic Data Platform enables secure delivery, management and access to data, helping to streamline cloud and hybrid operations for most major cloud platforms.
But this is just the beginning. Going forward, we’ll continue to expand the Delphix platform in new ways to embrace any and all data types required for digital transformation.
It’s time we release suppressed data and empower people with the tools they need to fuel important discoveries. Through our collective efforts, we can reduce data friction, help accelerate innovation and embrace the future.